Friday, April 3, 2015

Doctah Jones!

Snakes... I hold the same opinion as Indiana Jones when it comes to snakes and that isn't a very pleasant opinion of the slithery creatures that sometimes hold a venomous nibble.  I encountered several black snakes that are for the most part, harmless.  They do carry bacteria in their bite that can become hazardous to your health without treatment, but they are in no comparison to the dangers of a rattle or copperhead snake bite.  Both of which I had run-ins with.
Most little critters along the way in the north were fun to look at.  I saw bright red or orange lizards the size of my thumb, foot-long green garden snakes, black snakes, salamandors and even that territorial squirrel that screamed at me provides funny memories.  My first encounter with a rattler was actual while I was in the military helping out border patrol agents in New Mexico and Texas.  It was just a baby about 2 feet in length that somehow found its way to a concrete road.  It was way more scared of us than we were of it as it slithered down the street away from us shaking it's little ass off.  On the trail, I found myself in the snake's elements where they weren't quite as scared as that young rattler on the Mexican border.
I was in New Jersey approaching the Delaware Water Gap with temps in the high 70's and low 80's when I unknowingly waltzed into rattler alley.  Who the hell thinks of New Jersey when it comes to rattle snakes?  Not THIS guy!  The rocks on the path were awful so I had to keep my eyes focused on the ground for EVERY SINGLE STEP.  It was mentally exhausting and frustrating.  This led me to become complacent to my surroundings, thinking all the dangerous stuff was back in the more northern states.
As my careful maneuvering turned into a temper tatrum stomp I would occasionally look up to enjoy the view from the ridgeline I was on.  Then I heard something I'll never forget.

"CH-KA, CH-KA, CH-KA, CH-KA, CH-KA, SSSSSSSSSSS, CH-KA, CH-KA.... CH-KA."

            My view went from the valley below to between my legs.  The rattler end of the snake was between my feet and how I didn't step on the bastard is beyond me, but it saved my life.  The rest of the body hooked around the front of my right foot and 4 feet behind me was the head of a very irritated rattle snake starring right at my calf muscle, which had become quite "meaty" by this point in my trek.  It was lined up for an easy strike!  For some reason I just kept moving, but at a much slower and careful pace.  The snake just looked at me and decided I was going to get a pass on that day.  After a few more seconds of it claiming territory by starring me down, it slithered off the path.
            The night before I made nice with an Australian and his American pal.  I knew they were behind me by about 10 minutes so I waited to warn them.

"Hey guys! There's a 4 to 5 foot rattle snake that I pissed off to the right of the trail.  It's half yellow and half black towards the rattle end," I hollared from about 50 feet away.
"Daaamn, thanks bro!"

            Charlie Mike.  That got my adrenaline going a bit and off I went, passing by people and warning them as they warned me of various monster rattle snakes in my near future.  The snakes aparently liked coming out onto the rocks when the sun was out to warm up from chilly nights.  Luckily that one was the only one I saw that day even though they were swarming the area at random times according to the many hikers that showed me pictures of snakes up to 6 feet in length.  I got lucky as hell that day as I literally ran into the Delaware Water Gap that bordered New Jersey and the dreaded rocks of Pennsylvania.  And no, the trail never touched Delaware.

            The only other venomous snake I saw was in Tennessee.  I had just made an intense climb and took a break.  I started back on the trail and went downhill very quickly.  It was early fall and the path was completely littered with multi-colored leaves, making great camoflauge for snakes.  My steps became big lunges with a good pace when I glanced down and saw a snake head pop up and hiss at me.  After about 5 feet I hit the breaks to see exactly what it was.  It was just a 2 foot copperhead with the distinct checkered markings.  Another near miss and yet another pass by a killer snake.  My luck had to be about up.  I guess as long as you don't actually step on the little guys, they won't attack?  In any case, I thank you... you nasty, slithery bastards.

No comments:

Post a Comment